How to Maintain your Hot Tub with ecoONE
At Each 3 Monthly Water Change
- Clean the Plumbing:
- Add a plumbing cleaner (spa flush) to your existing tub water and turn on all jets and pumps for at least 30 minutes. Remove the filter(s) during this process if you are able to run your pumps without the filters in place. It’s preferable to leave the plumbing cleaner to work overnight if possible.
- Drain the Tub:
- Use a non-scouring pad to wipe away any deposits left on the shell as the water drains. For significantly dirty spas use a specialist spa surface cleaner. DO NOT use any household cleaners.
- Clean the Filter(s):
- Rinse any debris from between the pleats under a running tap, or use a specialist hot tub cleaning too on your garden hose. Sprinkle powdered fileter cleaner all over the surface of the filters and place them on the bottom shelf of your (clean) dishwasher. Run the dishwasher on a normal 50ºC wash cycle. If your filter(s) won’t fit in the dishwasher then soak them overnight in a suitable container using a powdered filter cleaner, then rinse thoroughly.
- Allow your filter(s) to dry naturally before replacing them in the tub. This is important because the filter material will last much longer if it is allowed to thoroughly dry between uses. Filters can take a very long time to dry so it’s a good idea to keep a spare set and to rotate them each time you clean them.
- Refill the tub with clean water.
- Balance the Water:
- Test the Total Alkalinity and pH of the water using appropriate test strips and adjust the Total Alkalinity and pH if necessary, using the directions on the water balance product containers:
- the Total Alkalinity should be within the range: 80 - 120 ppm
- the pH should be within the range: 7.2 – 8.2
- You should first adjust the Total Alkalinity and, when that is in the correct range, adjust the pH. If you do not have the balancers you needn’t worry, you can still carry on and use your tub. Just get the products you need and balance the water as soon as you can. Once it is done, and as long as you maintain ecoONE in your water, it is very unlikely that you will need to do it again until the next water change.
- (Don’t neglect the balancing because incorrectly balanced water can damage your equipment, cause cloudiness and skin irritation and stop your sanitiser working effectively.)
- Add ecoONE Spa Monthly:
- Add the entire contents of a bottle of ecoONE Spa Monthly, with all pumps running and all jets open.
- Add the Bromine or, optionally, Chlorine:
- Fill a floating dispenser with Bromine (or Chlorine) tablets and adjust the flow rate to a medium-low setting. Put the dispenser into the tub and invert it to make sure that it is full of water and not air – Bromine (or Chlorine) tablets don’t dissolve in air! Alternatively if your tub has an automatic chemical dispenser fitted then use that instead making sure it is set to a low flow rate.
- Shock to Remove any Dissolved Contaminants:
- Sprinkle a sachet of AquaSPArkle Spa Fusion, some surespa Spa Shock Express, or a similar shock product over the surface of the water. Turn on all pumps and leave the cover off for 1 hour.
- Get in and RELAX!
- You can get in the tub 20 minutes after you have applied the Spa Shock
- Check the level of Bromine (or Chlorine) tablets in your dispenser and refill if necessary. Test the Bromine (or Chlorine) level in the water and adjust the flow rate on your dispenser if necessary to maintain 1 – 2 ppm. You might have to fiddle with your dispenser for a while until you find the setting that maintains the correct level, but once you know the correct setting for your dispenser and your tub you won’t need to change it again.
- Use a shock product as described above to remove non-filterable organic contaminates. You should shock your tub fortnightly as a matter of course. It is also a good idea to shock after any period of very heavy use or if children have been in the tub (let’s be honest, it’s not a very attractive proposition to get out of that lovely hot water to find the loo!).
- NB. Don’t check the Bromine (or Chlorine) level for at least 12 hours after you have applied the shock because you will get an incorrect reading.
- Add another bottle of ecoONE Spa Monthly. Clean your filters as described above.
- Clean the plumbing and change the water as described above.